Despite the fact that vegetarianism appears to be gaining in popularity fast, it seems that many of us still believe that vegetarians as a rule do not trend to become overweight. This notion is more than fortified in many cases where healthcare professionals prescribe a vegetarian weight loss diet for non-vegetarian overweight patients. In most cases this regime is prescribed when nothing else works. But contrary to such misconceptions, it is quite possible to come across an obese vegan, just as it is possible to meet a paper thin meat-eater.
Also, vegetarians vary in their food habits quite a bit. While some veggies restrict their diet to fruits, beans and nuts, there are others who prefer cheese and milk. And there are a good many, who have no objection in consuming an egg or two at breakfast. However, all said and done, a vegetarian diet invariably tends to be low in fat and cholesterol – a factor said to be vital in avoiding cardiac problems and cancer.
Nevertheless, the vegetarian pound loss diet, whether meant for a vegan or a non-vegetarian, remains more or less the same. In fact, the secret behind the successful weight loss involves following a balanced vegetarian weight loss diet, coupled with regular exercise.
Vegetarian Weight Loss Tips
- Those who are committed to the vegetarian fat loss diet should make sure that their diet includes regular helpings of fruits and vegetables. Observations indicate that part-vegetarians who have a dislike for fruits and vegetables tend to overeat high-calorie snack foods, and when this happens the whole purpose is lost.
- Ovo-lacto vegetarians should not depend too much on cheese and other calorie-dense dairy products since these are full of fat (More than 30%).
- Vegans should include complex carbohydrates like whole wheat bread, wholegrain cereal, rice and oats in their weight loss plan. When you eat them, you are sure to feel filled-up, and this will reduce the craving.
- Some vegetarian foods are packed with extra fat to compensate for the lack of meat flavor. You should thus check the label in the pack. Your daily fat intake should be around 30-35 grams.
- If you are under a strict vegetarian fat loss diet, you should keep away from mayonnaise sauce as it is 80% fat.