So firstly what is the paleo diet and more importantly what would be considered a good paleo snack.
The paleo diet or as it is also known “The Caveman Diet” is a holistic way of eating that tries to mimic how humans ate over 10,000 years ago during the ‘paleolithic’ period.
The plan promotes a nutrient ‘dense rich’ in meats, fruits, seafoods, eggs, berries, nuts, seeds and vegetables whilst at the same time eliminating dairy, grains and legumes. Processed foods and foods supplemented with refined sugars, additives, preservatives and chemicals that you find in all modern day foods.
Examples Of A Good Paleo Snack Include:
- Cucumber – Cut in 1/2 half. Then divide halves vertically into sixth.
- Carrots – Make nutritious carrot sticks.
- Celery – Make sure you remove strings then make sticks approx. 4 inches in length.
- Bowl of fresh radishes (remove stems, wash and drain).
Tomato Mint Basil Salad Recipe
– 5 tomatoes sliced in quarters
– Fresh Basil
– Fresh Mint
– Olive Oil
– Balsamic Dressing
– Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes
Cut peaches into halves, cover with a dash of either lemon or lime juice. Then lightly grill.
Banana Chip Recipe (personally this is my favourite paleo snack)
– 4 ripe bananas
– 4 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons cinnamon or nutmeg
– Pre-heat oven 200 degrees F
– Finely cut bananas in horizontal slices
– Line baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
– Cover slices with lime or lemon juice
– Sprinkle chips with cinnamon or nutmeg (to taste)
– Bake for 1 hour flip slice and continue to bake for additional 1 or until bananas completely dry.
– Total baking time approximately 2-2.5 hours.
– Remove from oven.
– Let banana chips cool. Chip will become crisper when cool.
– Put cooled banana chips in airtight container
Chocolate Paleo Snack Cake
• 10 “medjool” dates, pitted
• 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup coconut oil
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup coconut flour
• 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon fine celtic sea salt
• 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
1. Place the “medjool” dates in a food processor and pulse until completely pureed.
2. Add applesauce and continue to pulse until pureed and combined with the dates.
3. Add the fruit purée to the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and coffee and mix on low-medium speed until well combined.
4. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix on low-speed, scraping down the sides, until you have a smooth batter.
6. Grease a 8×8 glass pan with coconut oil, pour in the batter and smooth it with the back of a spatula.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
Makes 9-12 servings
Make a batch of these chocolate paleo snack cakes to delight your kids or invite some friends over for coffee or tea time.
As you can see the list of foods that you can use to make a fantastic mouth watering paleo snack is almost limitless. Just use your imagination to create some wonderful, but more importantly really healthy snacks to help you diet but also help you obtain a healthy body.