If you’ve been trying to lose weight for some time you know how hard it can sometimes be to simply get motivated to lose weight and more importantly to keep it off.
I’ve been there myself. For years I struggled with “trying to lose weight” and lack of motivation.
I knew I needed to lose weight. I wanted to lose weight but after a long day’s work I simply wanted to relax on the couch and order some take out food.
Getting some exercise or even having a healthy meal was just so hard to do. I’d then feel guilty and ashamed of myself for lacking any motivation or will-power.
I struggled with how to get motivated to lose weight until I discovered a few simple ways that got me off that couch, that stopped me from eating the wrong foods and got me to do the “simple things” I needed to do to lose weight and keep it from coming back.
1. I clearly identified “Why” I wanted to lose weight in the first place.
So, to follow in my foot steps ask yourself “Why do I want to lose weight?” Then write down the reasons “Why” you want to lose weight on a piece of paper or better yet in a journal. Go…do it now. And make this the first day that you absolutely start your weight loss process.
1. Be very SPECIFIC about your reasons.
2. Talk about it in the “present tense” like it is already happening.
The more SPECIFIC you get, the more REAL it will be for YOU. Relate your reasons to your present life rather than in the distant future. What do you want NOW and exactly why do you want it?
You should be able to PICTURE your reasons “Why?” visually.
I’m losing weight so I can have a slimmer face, clear and glowing skin.
Versus: I want to lose weight so I can look better.
My husband or my boyfriend or my crush notice and complement me for how great I look.
Versus: I want people to notice and pay attention to me.
I’m more confident when I talk to my boss at work and I can see how he appreciates the great work I’m doing.
Versus: I can be more confident about myself
See what’s happening here?… The more SPECIFIC you’re getting to “Why?” you want to lose weight and the more your reasons relate to your present life, the more you get motivated to lose weight and actually making it happen RIGHT NOW.
2. Surround yourself with the right PEOPLE that keep you motivated to lose weight.
Being around the right people all the time is critical to getting and staying motivated to lose weight.
You know there’s a saying that goes like…. “tell me who your 5 closest friends are and I’ll tell you who you are”
Who you spend time with and surround yourself with makes a huge difference in the actions you take and the habits you form.
Just hang out with slim people long enough and you’ll POSITIVELY see the difference in yourself.
If your 5 best friends are slim and fit and you surround yourself with slim people, then there’s only 1 of 2 things that can happen.
1. They develop the habits to put on weight or 2. You get influenced to lose weight and become more “like them”.
You will subconsciously do the things you need to lose weight from just surrounding yourself with the right people.
Be around positive, reinforcing people. People that support and re-assure you. Stay away from negative people even if they are your current best friends and family!
Negativity can pull you down. But positive vibrations from positive people will lift you up and keep you on track and motivated to keep losing weight and staying healthy.
Start today by associating yourself with the right people online. Your Facebook friends, YouTube friends and even weight loss support groups and communities online will help you with how to get motivated to lose weight and stay motivated.
3. Put together your 2 “What If?….” sheets NOW.
What if I do…? And What if I don’t…? On your What if I do…? sheet write down at the top…
“These are GREAT CHANGES that are going to happen to me starting 1) tomorrow, 2) within 2 months and 3) in 1 to 2 years.”
Then write down every single GOOD CHANGE you can imagine that will happen to you in the immediate, short term and long term time frames….if you START TAKING ACTION NOW to lose weight.
So for example:
On the What if I do…? sheet you could be writing things like….
– Tomorrow I will feel great about having started to take the actions to lose weight. I will stop feeling guilty. Instead I’m more empowered since I’m on the right track.
– Tomorrow I will simply wake up feeling better and more energetic since I’m going to eat right tonight.
– Within 2 months from today I will have lost XXX (enter your specific goal) pounds or kilos.
– Within 2 months from today, my boyfriend/ my husband will be telling me how I’m losing weight and looking great!
– Within 1 year I’ll be shopping for those new clothes that perfectly fit my hourglass figure.
– Within 1 year, I’ll be talking about my own weight loss success story and inspiring so many others to follow in my foot steps.
– Within 1 year I’ll have so much more energy to play with my kids, spend more quality time with my husband and do so many more fun activities.
Now on your 2nd sheet, write down all the THINGS you can imagine that will happen if you DON’T TAKE ACTION NOW to lose weight…
At the end of each sentence also write….. I will not let this happen.
So for example:
On the What if I don’t…? sheet you could be writing things like….
– Tomorrow I will feel guilty again for not doing anything to start losing weight. I will not feel good knowing that I’m not on the right track. I will not let this happen.
– Tomorrow I will wake up feeling tired and lethargic again! I’ll have a hard time getting out of bed and feel low energy. I will not let this happen.
– In 2 months from today I will be the same. Worse, I could have gained more weight. I’ll be scared to stand on the scale and embarrassed with myself. I will not let this happen.
– In 2 months from today my husband will still not see any changes in me and I’ll be the same weight and have the same body. I’ll feel like I’m letting him down and myself down again. I will not let this happen.
– In 1 year’s time I’ll still be wearing clothes to “try” to hide my weight and appear thin. I’ll be self conscious about going in public and meeting new people because of my weight. I will not let this happen.
– In 1 year’s time my boyfriend may not find me physically attractive anymore and may want to leave me. I may have a hard time finding a “significant other” that thinks I’m attractive and wants to be with me. I will not let this happen.
Now that you’ve written down all the things you can imagine, you have a vivid and clear picture for getting motivated to lose weight. Be aware of your 2 “What If…” lists. Read your lists 3 times a week.
See what’s happening? Yes, you’re getting motivated to lose weight NOW even as you’re reading your lists.
Keep doing this and you’ll find yourself taking ACTION. Then your habits are changing quickly. Then you start SEEING RESULTS.
As soon as you see RESULTS, you REINFORCE your actions and that in turn motivates you to take more action. And this is a powerful positive cycle to be in.
I, Dr Ashok Patil guarantee you that you will:
1. get motivated to lose weight
2. start taking the right actions to lose weight and keep it off
3. never want to look back – so you’ll stay motivated.